Late one afternoon a couple of years ago, I was riding my bike home from work. It’s about a ten mile stretch, and I was tired and eager to get back.
I zipped into a residential area near where I live, riding on the sidewalk due the the lack of a bike lane. As I turned the first corner, I was going too fast – and my turn was too wide. I tried to sharply correct myself, but by then my front wheel was off the curb. I half fell, half flew off my bike – directly onto the cold, hard sidewalk.
I’d instinctively raised my arms to try to break my fall, and my elbow consequently absorbed about 90% of the impact.
Much like my skateboarding incident fourteen years earlier, I lay there for a moment, possibly in shock. A lady who lived in the nearest house had seen the whole thing, and yelled,

“Oh my goodness – are you all right?!?”

I awoke from my daze, and managed to sit up. What seemed like half the skin on my upper forearm had been scraped off, and a bloody skid mark on the sidewalk clearly marked where I had landed. I couldn’t even feel my arm, but I mustered up the first aid knowledge I retained from Boy Scouts and raised it up, hoping to stop the bleeding.

“I’m fine.” I said back to the lady, trying to smile while wincing from the pain.

I got up, brushed myself off, and rode erratically home. My arm was now fully numb, which made it hard to steer – but it made the pain a little easier to deal with.
Once back at my pad, I took a shower and went about my evening. By the time I went to bed, it was pretty swollen. I didn’t think much of it, and took good care of the wound so as to help it heal. Fortunately, the swellling subsided after a couple of days. By the end of the week, I wasn’t experiencing much pain at all.
That Saturday, the Amigos and I held the first (and possibly last) ever Tan’s to Sands bike marathon from Rohnert Park to the ocean. Starting off at the legendary Tan’s Donuts, we made the 30-or-so mile ride through Sonoma county’s beautiful hills all the way to Bodega Bay. That was an epic story in itself, and I managed to complete the trek despite the fact that my arm hurt every time I put pressure on it.

To be continued…